Skip to main content

Refections Baltimore Tri- You vs. You


This is the first triathlon I’ve participated in since 2017.  I have been practicing my swim and participating in other events including relay, fun runs and Duathlons this year.  I trained for the Chicago Tri but the swim was canceled so I decided to sign up for the Baltimore Tri on October 5. I’m anxious about swimming so I needed to see if I actually break through my mental block of having to do my weakest sport first.






Swim 

This event took place at Hammerman Beach where the Gunpowder river meets the Chesapeake Bay in Baltimore County, Maryland. The Bay consists underwater grasses surprisingly with shallow water in sections. Why is this important to know?   Keep reading. 

It’s 7:30 am on race day. The water is choppy with sea needles and vegetation everywhere. The water temps were reported as 64.4 degrees then 68.4. The truth lies somewhere in between. Images of a cold sea monsters went through my head. My mind was swirling.  I kept thinking      “How is this happening? I’ve practiced all Summer in comfortably air temps hovering around 80 with water temps in the mid 70s while swimming in the South River and on race day the air is 48 and water is freezing.”   I was doing mental gymnastics prior to the swim for sure. Immediately, I looked at all the racers. It was an all women’s triathlon.  I thought these women are all badasses.  So I sorta tried to reclaim my inner badassery and joined them. 



I had to put on my Rx googles prior to leaving transition to walk to the swim start otherwise I would have tumbled over and broke a limb. I managed to follow my dear swim buddy to the swim start and practiced getting in the water.  The water was cold but warmer then the air. It was tolerable.  To start the swim officially, triathletes had to walk about 200 m in from shore to begin our swim so I was prepared. I now knew that when I lined up to start the swim, I must walk quickly 200 m to start the swim.



Swim Start



Athletes entered the water 5 at a time to give enough time to get 200 meters out to the deeper water to swim.  I stood in the back with the red swim caps.  Red caps were those who wanted extra swim support by kayakers.  I’ve never needed kayak support before but took the red cap as a safety measure because I was not familiar with the body of water and choppiness. 



Five of us went to the swim start. Five, four, three, two—Go.  I went into my hurry slowly entrance mode.  Into the water I went. I shuffled out to the first buoy as quickly as possible. Then literally I was blind-sighted by the high surf. I could see nothing on my right and was tossed around like a beach ball.  I had no control over my swim stroke. Nothing. I was flapping my arms like I had never swam before.  I literally was able to peek up and saw people doing back stroke, angel strokes and letting the water take them while others did breast stroke. They were doing anything possible to move forward.    I thought “Stacy - Girl, find a kayak and regroup.”   I did. I spoke to the kayaker and he shouted that the water is too rough for freestyle just do any stroke to get out.  I thought 💭 “He is crazy. Breaststroke will take all day. I will dig it out.”  I literally did. My happy mantras went from Breathe out fear, Breathe in Faith to Dig and roll ( to remind me to breathe). Dig and roll just dig and roll then I turned at the bouy to return to finish. I can breathe bilaterally.  So I had to focus on breathing on the right this time because big chops were on the left. I kept the shore on my right and just dug.  I remembered I set out to do this race in honor of my patients and friends who battled breast cancer.  They were brave in their hours of uncertainty. As I came to the swim finish I thought of Jenn, Eileen, Terri, Chrissy, Sarah. Thank you for lending me your strength.  You were brave so must I.   With praise and thanksgiving I turned at the Yellow buoy and walked the 200 m through the seaweed and shallow water to the finish. 



I exited the water in 27 min according to the official results.  I swam 750 m in 23 min.  Spent 1 min walking in and 1 min exiting and 4 mins hanging on the kayak😊. The swim was over. 

 
T1- I want the award for the longest T1-😊😊😊😊.  13 min.  Yup. I was frozen.  Teeth chattering 🥶. I literally said I don’t care if I’m last but I can’t ride in all these wet clothes.  I changed into warm clothing slowly.  My hands shook. I was nauseous from the swim and couldn’t find my glasses.  Finally I left T-1 with bike sweeper saying we have the last cyclist 🚴🏾‍♀️

  


 Yup I was last. 



The bike-  I got on the bike and hauled ass. 😊😊😊😊😊. I left the sweeper. I could not feel my feet for the first 6 miles.  I rode alone but smiled.  I said, "Stacy, you are on your way.  Forward motion." I rode as hard as I could at some point I was doing 20-21 mph.  I passed several racers.  My confidence grew.  Then before I knew I was seeing people who got out the water long before I.  I quickly made up time.  Frozen but feeling relieved.   I was much slower than I wanted and practiced but I was warm on the bike. That was a win 😊. Bike time was 55 min.  
 Happy to be done ✅





T2- Quick. @3:00









 Run- I was never so happy to see my sneakers.  All I could think was enjoy 😊. You made it through the swim. This is your reward.  You get to run.  I was overdressed with a thermal shirt, jersey, and long running pants  I kept on from the bike. I refused to waste time removing them. 

I just said Go Stacy.  The other athletes were amazing to watch.  I saw many turning at the last mile marker as I made my way to the turn around.  They said such kind words. “ You look strong.”  The energy on the course was filled with commadery.  I thanked the volunteers as I made my way to the finish.   There were athletes in the parking lot clapping as I ran as fast as I could to the finish.   It was surreal.  I finished 🏅.  


You can review my Garmin Results vs Official results.  I actually spend more time analyzing how I felt, the conditions and Garmin time than official results.  My Garmin time provides feedback over the things I can control.   Personally, I am overjoyed 😄 that I tackled a swim that was beyond anything I could have imagined swimming in just two years ago when I got tossed around in Lake Michigan at the Chicago Tri. You can read that blog post from 2017.  I did my coldest swim in race conditions ever. That was big for me.  I hate being cold.  Lastly, I smiled when I was scared and was not deterred when I was last on the bike. I never thought about quitting just kept going through all the options of how to finish which was my goal. It was a good day. 💕😊🏊🏾‍♀️🚴🏾‍♀️🏃🏽‍♀️🏅
 



 

 

 

 

This was my first Tri in 2 years.  I am happy I did it.  



Lessons Learned



  1. As my great grandmother would say “ You can plan but you will never be prepared.”  She was right. You can train but you will never know what race day will bring.  You must show up and do your best.
  2. This year was my year of joy in fitness. No time goals just show up and get feedback.  I did.  I learned that I have the mental fortitude to take on Tri again.
  3. Duathlon is not Triathlon.  I have done three Duathlons this year.  I placed on the podium twice and received an invitation to the Duathlon National championships.    
  4. Guess what ?????  Triathlon and Duathlon are different!!!    I get to run, my favorite sport twice, in Duathlon.  In Triathlon, I must battle myself and the swim in order to continue the race.  So if I want to participate in a 70.3 race, I must do more of the the thing that scared me— swim, swim in lakes, ponds, bays, with and without a wetsuit.
  5. Mental practice must be part of training.  I’m grateful for my OWS coach who forced me to swim in choppy water and my friends swam 2 miles with me.  It gave me the mental confidence to participate in the swim.  I knew I could physically do it, but I needed to convince my mind that I could.   I will be doing more mental homework
  6. Nutrition- I must work on that. I gutted this race out on one sip of Scratch fluids because my tummy was nauseous from the swim and hands too cold on the bike. I remember grabbing a water on the run.  So I must learned how to manage all of this for longer events.
  7. BTW- I was 14/15 in my AG 44-49. This is my last tri in this AG.  I will do my next one in the 50-54 AG.   
  8. This race has taught me alot.  I battled and won my own race. 





Thank you Baltimore Tri. 





Gear can make or break your race.
I wore this thermal waterproof headband and a warm waterproof head back to protect my ears.  The black thermal rash guard was amazing and dried quickly on the bike and run.  


Coach Stacy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear, Feedback and Fuel

On Sunday, I started the Chicago Triathlon.  It was one of the largest in the United States.  The goal was to complete 1500m in Lake Michigan cycle 24.5 miles and run 6.2 miles in Chicago. I completed this race last year. It was both challenging and fun. This year the outcome was not what I had planned. I started the race surrounded by wonderful people, Some I knew while others were strangers. We all started the race together. Rough waters awaited. Lake Michigan looked menacing.  She churned and tossed us from the moment we entered the water. Here I am at the first bouy. My plan was slow and steady since I was not familiar with this type of water. So I swam. I remembered saying to myself, "Slow is fast". I focused on each stroke and thought of little else. I saw a friend swim by me. It made me feel great as I turned to the straightaway toward the finish. I could see the finish through my Rx goggles. I swam and swam. As I sighted for the tall buildings in the distanc

Grit- Road to Chicago Olympic Triathlon

Definition  Grit in psychology is a positive, non-cognitive trait based on an individual's passion for a particular long-term goal or end state, coupled with a powerful motivation to achieve their respective objective. This perseverance of effort promotes the overcoming of obstacles or challenges that lie within a gritty individual's path to accomplishment, and serves as a driving force in achievement realization. Commonly associated concepts within the field of psychology include "perseverance", "hardiness", "resilience", "ambition", "need for achievement" and "conscientiousness".  This is who I am. Stacy the Grit.  Yes, I could spend a lot of time talking to you about my finish time and what I could improve upon yadda yadda yadda but anyone who reads my blog knows that I rarely focus on the outcome.  I focus on the process. I focus on how did I arrive at a specific point and time. I focus on the jour

Bend or Break- RagnarDC

 So a running buddy called me a week before a 200 mile relay race from Flintstone, MD to Washington, DC. Her team needed one more runner to replace a person who could not attend due to a life event. I said, "Sure, I can do this."  I tend to be a "Yes" girl.  I like to say "Yes" more than "No." So there I sat in my pajamas not knowing what adventure awaited me. Six days after the call, I met the team for dinner and headed up to a hotel close to the course start. I must say I was nervous. I did not feel prepared. I observed how calm my teammates were and internally I was hoping to not let them down. See, I was Leg one of a 200 mile race. Leg 1-Rocky Gap Trail. 0500 There I was at the start. Pumped and ready. It was pitch dark when the race started. My 0500 wave started and off I went. I had a map of the course and followed the directions as best as I could. Before I knew it I was under a canopy of trees. It was dark. No, it was p