Skip to main content

2021 Fort Ritchie Olympic Triathlon



General thoughts about the Fort Ritchie Olympic Triathlon and the race experience.


 

 

 

On August 1, 2021, I participated in a 1 mile swim, 25 mile bike and 6.2 mile run. If you want stats, splits, watts, etc. you will find none of it here.  Why?  It’s not what is important to me in participating in triathlon. It’s not my why!


I signed up for the local race in Cascade, Maryland because I knew it would challenge me mentally and physically. My expectations were to finish and learn. 


This race was not wetsuit legal and a USAT championship series race.  I knew it would bring out some spectacular athletes from the area.  But I also knew this, I have never swam in open water without a wetsuit.  Never.  Stacy motto- Safety first. 

I will not put myself or others at risk for me to race.  I quietly spoke to the race director and he nodded that I could do the race but would not race in my age group and would not be eligible for prizes. I accepted without question because those are the rules.  If the water temperature is 78 or less, competitors may wear wetsuitsbut if the temperature is between 78.1 – 83.9 degrees, competitors may wear wetsuits but will not be eligible for awards.


The temperature was 79.1!


Swim


The swim was an " IN WATER Start" with two 750 m loops for the Olympic distance swimmers.  Olympic swimmers waited in the water while the Sprint started then each wave swam up to the swim start and began his/her race.  I wore a white cap to signal to the kayaks I would like extra eyes on me during the swim, but in my mind I was committed to beginning and swimming free style the entire course.  I made one loop with little fanfare, but had trouble finding the second turn buoy and got lost.  I breaststroked some to sight the second buoy went back and around it to ensure it was on my right shoulder and proceeded only to hear faster swimmers coming up behind me. I knew this was going to happen and prepared myself for the surge of swimmers when one bumped me.  I was rattled but grateful for the wetsuit.  

I composed myself repeating “ You are fine one stroke at a time” “ 1-2-3 peace from Thee”. I reminded myself to think only of the water and each stroke. Make each stroke meaningful.  If I started to get ahead of myself, I felt panicked so I vowed to stay in my rhythm and low and behold I finished the swim in under 1 hr. That was big for me.  I clapped along with the wonderful volunteers who helped me out the water.  Also, low and behold I was not the last swimmer to my surprise. 


Bike 







Need I say more. This was the bike course. 

You literally come out of transition at start climbing.  

I was so happy about the swim, I actually don’t remember the bike much. All I remember are the incredible Athletes Serving Athletes teams and others digging deep and some walking the hills but all were making successful progress. I quickly caught up to other cyclists and they waved.  


The last long hill it started to rain. I was prepared for the climb so I got comfortable and rode smoothly up the hill while in the saddle as the rain fell. I was alone. I raced within myself and said “Good job Stacy” as I made my way back to the transition.    All remember was the volunteer saying “ Welcome back”


Run


I love to run. It makes me happy. The run course was designed so that as you run, you see other participants on a 1.5 mile loop.  I saw many of the same folks in my age group I started with and slowly caught up to them. Each time I came by the water stop, ran a little stronger.  I heard volunteers, neighbors and other athletes encourage me as I ran along.  The volunteer at the turn around and the run water station were so kind.  Before I knew it I went into my last loop and ran by the water station one last time then into the finishers chute. I finished.  


Insights

  1. Wisdom comes in whispers. I am proud of this finish because it is my second Olympic distance ever. My first one was in 2016 in Chicago. I struggled with swimming then as well yesterday but I have more experience now.  I recognize and accept fully that I want to get stronger on the swim and with dedicated practice my confidence will increase. I shall resume lessons in the Fall and Winter. 
  2. Focus on the process. I’m more of a process person than outcome. Many tie there worthiness as a participant in triathlon to the outcome. I don’t. I was born worthy and no race will define me. Deliberate effort and practice is what I have control over. If I know I have been doing the work and not get the outcome I would like I can accept that. My choice is to focus on the day to day process and outcome will be what it will. 
  3. All race season I decided I would race with grace and CALM 
  4. C- Cut out chaos and chatter that distracts me
  5. A- Affirm- Say positive words when I do a workout well and remind myself to focus on practice when it does not go so well 
  6. L- Listen to people who speak your language of support. Some need yelling and toughness. Some like jokes. Some people need compassion and tender encouragement. I’m grateful for the thoughtful and compassionate messages I received privately from many.  Find what you need and listen to those can feed you in the way you need. 
  7. M-Mindfulness.  Stay in the moment during the race. Savor the moment Look at faces and scenery.  Enjoy the experience
  8. Some say finishing is winning. I say beginning is winning. Just signing up is huge.  It’s a sign you are thinking beyond where you are and open to a new experience. That is amazing in itself.  Daily practice gets us closer to fulfilling our dreams and before you know you are transform by the process.  The race is simply the reward for all the years, months, weeks and hours of hard work. 
  9. Thank you to the race director, Ken, who was at my first tri in 2013 and there yesterday. I appreciate his flexibility, professionalism and quick reply when I didn’t have chip time after the race. I received a nice email from him with my race times this morning. I am grateful to all the volunteers at Racine Multisports who were simple phenomenal. The athletes were amazingly kind and helpful to one another.  I am continually grateful for Coach Rob for his friendship and tempered approach to help me accomplish my goals.   I finished in 3:50 mins.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear, Feedback and Fuel

On Sunday, I started the Chicago Triathlon.  It was one of the largest in the United States.  The goal was to complete 1500m in Lake Michigan cycle 24.5 miles and run 6.2 miles in Chicago. I completed this race last year. It was both challenging and fun. This year the outcome was not what I had planned. I started the race surrounded by wonderful people, Some I knew while others were strangers. We all started the race together. Rough waters awaited. Lake Michigan looked menacing.  She churned and tossed us from the moment we entered the water. Here I am at the first bouy. My plan was slow and steady since I was not familiar with this type of water. So I swam. I remembered saying to myself, "Slow is fast". I focused on each stroke and thought of little else. I saw a friend swim by me. It made me feel great as I turned to the straightaway toward the finish. I could see the finish through my Rx goggles. I swam and swam. As I sighted for the tall buildings in the distanc

Grit- Road to Chicago Olympic Triathlon

Definition  Grit in psychology is a positive, non-cognitive trait based on an individual's passion for a particular long-term goal or end state, coupled with a powerful motivation to achieve their respective objective. This perseverance of effort promotes the overcoming of obstacles or challenges that lie within a gritty individual's path to accomplishment, and serves as a driving force in achievement realization. Commonly associated concepts within the field of psychology include "perseverance", "hardiness", "resilience", "ambition", "need for achievement" and "conscientiousness".  This is who I am. Stacy the Grit.  Yes, I could spend a lot of time talking to you about my finish time and what I could improve upon yadda yadda yadda but anyone who reads my blog knows that I rarely focus on the outcome.  I focus on the process. I focus on how did I arrive at a specific point and time. I focus on the jour

Bend or Break- RagnarDC

 So a running buddy called me a week before a 200 mile relay race from Flintstone, MD to Washington, DC. Her team needed one more runner to replace a person who could not attend due to a life event. I said, "Sure, I can do this."  I tend to be a "Yes" girl.  I like to say "Yes" more than "No." So there I sat in my pajamas not knowing what adventure awaited me. Six days after the call, I met the team for dinner and headed up to a hotel close to the course start. I must say I was nervous. I did not feel prepared. I observed how calm my teammates were and internally I was hoping to not let them down. See, I was Leg one of a 200 mile race. Leg 1-Rocky Gap Trail. 0500 There I was at the start. Pumped and ready. It was pitch dark when the race started. My 0500 wave started and off I went. I had a map of the course and followed the directions as best as I could. Before I knew it I was under a canopy of trees. It was dark. No, it was p