Skip to main content

The Healthy Race.....Sign Up

Recently I had a discussion with a good friend of mine about participating in racing events vs fitness for health.  She explained how she enjoys working out, like I, but when it comes to events such as triathlon, she is a nervous wreck.  Her anxiety is not due to the fact that she is ill prepared, but due to her overwhelming need to feel "good enough."  "What will people think of me if I don't do well?" She stated.   I said to her, "You are participating in an event that you have paid money for so go and have a great time. Just think of it as exercise with friends (or familiar strangers)."  She stated that when I presented to her like that she felt better about participating in her event.  Not only did she do well, by her standards, but she had a good time.  To me, this was the most important thing.  Have fun!

I constantly read on many triathlon and running forums to which I belong about this self-imposed pressure to participate in running, cycling, triathlon events.  Participants on the forum pressure others to sign up for races.  Even if their prodding is harmless, nevertheless, there is a nudge to sign up for something. Many on the forum state that they join the running club or triathlon club because they want to get healthy and lose pounds. My initial thoughts are..."That is great."  Then my next thought is..."Well, joining a running or triathlon group may NOT be best place to accomplish your goal."  Why, you may ask?

Let me explain....

According to the World Health Organization, health is defined as a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Clearly by this definition one should feel good if not better by training and participating in recreational, sporting events, right?  Well, may be not...

Many affinity groups and athletic clubs strongly encourage or even pressure people to sign up for events. I see this often on certain groups online.  They constantly ask members, "How many people are signed up for this race?"  "Why haven't you participated yet."  Blah, Blah..We have all read such posts.   Sometimes out of shear peer pressure; one feels compelled to sign up for something then there is added pressure to perform workouts to ensure that they are indeed ready for said event in a given timeframe.  With all the pressures of work, family, school, traffic, etc.....if one is not careful their original health and fitness endeavor has morphed into is a part-time job that must be performed.  I have seen this cycle in many recreational athletes....It goes like this...talk to friends.  Join a club. Club members say "Sign up for xyz." Person signs up and starts training. Person is not getting healthier (i.e losing weight or decreasing stress). Setbacks occur. Club members ask member are your ready for said event.  As event gets closer anxiety creeps in.  Wait!  How is this healthy? Perhaps it is not. 

Exercise for health and fitness is different than training for races.  Exercising for health leaves one feeling exhilarated afterwards.  There is no self-flagellation if one can not perform a movement perfectly. Exercising for health can decreases cortisol and blood pressure while increasing a sense of well-being.  Have you ever watched seniors leave a water aerobics or Tai Chi class?  Have you spoken with anyone after yoga/pilates?  They are smiling and seem more energized by the workout at the end than when they began.  They derive energy through movement. At most, they spend 60 min per day working out and see it as a cherished appointment with themselves or a sweet indulgence.  The manner in which they think and feel about the workout has key implications for health longer term. I will explain, but let's talk about the weekend warrior types first. 

Have you seen the weekend warrior types?  They are "killing" themselves in the gym or during their workouts.  They don't seem happy when it is done.  They see the workout as something that they "must do" and place high expectations on themselves to "survive" the workout.  This is a set up for chronic fatigue, burnout, injury, increased anxiety and the very antithesis to health.

What is the difference?  One word....Cortisol.  Cortisol is a stress hormone released by the adrenal system in response to stress.  Not all stress is bad.  It can keep us alert and on our toes.  However, when one is constantly under assault by stressors from work, school, traffic, etc.; additional stress to perform an exercise may have negative effects.  Too much stress can lead to the body feeling like it is in fight or flight mode constantly.  This heightened state coupled with increased cortisol levels can disrupt other body processes and lead to disruptions in sleep, low moods, increase hunger...basically when you feel stressed out you want to sleep and eat.  This can lead to weight gain and for some that can lead to feeling low or depression.  It is a cycle.  

I remember explaining this cycle to a group of first time marathoner that I coach in the late 1990s for the Marine Corps Marathon.  As eager as they were to train and complete their first marathon, I was more concerned that they stay happy and train slowly.  I knew if they did not "over do it" they would stay injury free, complete their marathon and keep cortisol down (i.e. not gain weight while training due to added stress).  Many joined the marathon group to accomplish a goal; complete the marathon.  Others joined "to get in shape."  This was the group I was most concerned about because they tended to push too hard on rest days which placed them at increased risk of injury as well as increasing their cortisol .....then cycle of eating to much, working out more, injury, set backs and depression. 

So what is my point of all of this.  Exercise and fitness for health is sustainable and better for overall health than training for one or two races for the reasons aforementioned.  If one does not learn balance with nutrition, strength, aerobic activity and rest; then perhaps one can set him/herself into a chronic cycle of race fatigue and unhealthy behaviors (i.e sign up for race, train for race, overeat, risk injury, stress to race, participate in race, elation from race then race let down) without getting any healthier.

Let's sign up for the best race ever... health and fitness for life.  Breathe, walk, eat fruits and vegetables, laugh and sleep.  By the way, if you should decide to participate in a formal athletic event just changing your mindset  can make a huge difference.  Just adopting "this is healthy, fun with strangers" mindshift can have a positive impact on my mind and body.  Keep exercise happy and fun and it will "do the body good."


Remember~It's all about the journey


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fear, Feedback and Fuel

On Sunday, I started the Chicago Triathlon.  It was one of the largest in the United States.  The goal was to complete 1500m in Lake Michigan cycle 24.5 miles and run 6.2 miles in Chicago. I completed this race last year. It was both challenging and fun. This year the outcome was not what I had planned. I started the race surrounded by wonderful people, Some I knew while others were strangers. We all started the race together. Rough waters awaited. Lake Michigan looked menacing.  She churned and tossed us from the moment we entered the water. Here I am at the first bouy. My plan was slow and steady since I was not familiar with this type of water. So I swam. I remembered saying to myself, "Slow is fast". I focused on each stroke and thought of little else. I saw a friend swim by me. It made me feel great as I turned to the straightaway toward the finish. I could see the finish through my Rx goggles. I swam and swam. As I sighted for the tall buildings in the distanc

Grit- Road to Chicago Olympic Triathlon

Definition  Grit in psychology is a positive, non-cognitive trait based on an individual's passion for a particular long-term goal or end state, coupled with a powerful motivation to achieve their respective objective. This perseverance of effort promotes the overcoming of obstacles or challenges that lie within a gritty individual's path to accomplishment, and serves as a driving force in achievement realization. Commonly associated concepts within the field of psychology include "perseverance", "hardiness", "resilience", "ambition", "need for achievement" and "conscientiousness".  This is who I am. Stacy the Grit.  Yes, I could spend a lot of time talking to you about my finish time and what I could improve upon yadda yadda yadda but anyone who reads my blog knows that I rarely focus on the outcome.  I focus on the process. I focus on how did I arrive at a specific point and time. I focus on the jour

Bend or Break- RagnarDC

 So a running buddy called me a week before a 200 mile relay race from Flintstone, MD to Washington, DC. Her team needed one more runner to replace a person who could not attend due to a life event. I said, "Sure, I can do this."  I tend to be a "Yes" girl.  I like to say "Yes" more than "No." So there I sat in my pajamas not knowing what adventure awaited me. Six days after the call, I met the team for dinner and headed up to a hotel close to the course start. I must say I was nervous. I did not feel prepared. I observed how calm my teammates were and internally I was hoping to not let them down. See, I was Leg one of a 200 mile race. Leg 1-Rocky Gap Trail. 0500 There I was at the start. Pumped and ready. It was pitch dark when the race started. My 0500 wave started and off I went. I had a map of the course and followed the directions as best as I could. Before I knew it I was under a canopy of trees. It was dark. No, it was p